[ann] fdups 0.15

Patrick Useldinger pu.news.001 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 09:58:45 EST 2005

I am happy to announce version 0.15 of fdups.

Changes in this version:
========================
- ability to limit the number of file handles used

Download
=========
To download, go to: http://www.homepages.lu/pu/fdups.html

What is fdups?
==============
fdups is a Python program to detect duplicate files on locally mounted
filesystems. Files are considered equal if their content is identical,
regardless of their filename. Also, fdups is able to detect and ignore
symbolic links and hard links, where available.

In contrast to similar programs, fdups does not rely on md5 sums or
other hash functions to detect potentially identical files. Instead, it
does a direct blockwise comparison and stops reading as soon as
possible, thus reducing the file reads to a maximum.

fdups results can either be processed by a unix-type filter, or directly
  by another python program.

Warning
=======
fdups is BETA software. It is known not to produce false positives if
the filesystem is static.
I am looking for additional beta-testers, as well as for somebody who
would be able to implement hard-link detection on NTFS file systems.

All feedback is appreciated.