Grouping code by indentation - feature or ******?

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Fri Mar 25 10:02:57 EST 2005

> Structure/Disciplined programming is a burden in general. I have
> never found putting braces or what ever delimiter such a problem.
> I don't see people argueing that putting the right number of parenthesis
> and or brackets is an extra burden.

Oh, not the right number. But I have seen wars waging over the correct
indention style to use. Braces behind flow control statements, or beneath,
and if the latter, indented halfways or not?

> Use a tool for that. If people want something in python that python
> doesn't has, those people are refered to tools that provide it.
> It it works in that direction, it should also work in the other
> direction and people that would like some feature of python in
> an other language should use a tool for that. You wnat consistent
> style? Use a tool to put all your source in a consistent style.

And what to do if two (or more) people can't decide on what convention to
use? And just in case you never worked with CVS: Having mutually commits of
sourcecode that has been subject to code formatting tools often creates a
hellhole of conflicts - which is a major PITA.

> Well to each his own.

Amen. Why don't you use ruby? It has braces. And code blocks. And its more
liberal towards overriding builtins, which might appeal to you.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch