Calling __init__ with multiple inheritance

Robert Dick dickrp at ece.northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 28 14:14:46 EST 2005

jfj:
> In the case of Parent diamond inheritance, super() can avoid calling
> the __init__ of parent twice?  How?

Guido has a nice description of it:
http://www.python.org/2.2.3/descrintro.html#cooperation.

It linearizes the graph.  Unfortunately, this means that super delegates to
siblings.  This makes super incompatible with differences in positional
arguments within a class hierarchy.  If you want a super that works with
positional arguments, please see delegate.py at
http://ziyang.ece.northwestern.edu/~dickrp/python/delegate.html (also in
PyPI).  If others don't find problems with the approach, I hope it becomes
standard.  I found it distracting that python's default argument passing
approach conflicts with its default delegation approach.

Good luck,

-Robert Dick-