Is Python like VB?

Gregor Horvath g.horvath at gmx.at
Thu Mar 17 04:10:27 EST 2005

James wrote:

> You will probably find migrating to VB.NET easier than to Python if you
> have to do WYSIWYG data bound form design.
>
> VB.NET is quite a nice language (I personally prefer C#). Much nicer
> than VB6. Python is better but it may not meet YOUR needs
> infrastructure wise.

This is more a strategic decision than a technical one.

MS has proven that it uses and forces its developers community to
maximize their own profits and spread of technologies. Personally I dont
want to be forced ("Where do you want me to go today?")
Who guarantees that VB.NET will not have the same tragic kismet that VB6
had?

Open Source is totally different and thats the real difference between
VB and python.

As long as their are users and working code, there will be a community
around an OSS tools project.
This is not true for commercial tools, as perfectly proven by MS with
VB6. Its users are crying and MS is deaf because of strategic MS
considerations.

http://news.com.com/Developers+slam+Microsofts+Visual+Basic+plan/2100-1007_3-5615331.html?tag=nl
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+walks+VB+tight+rope/2100-1007_3-5620821.html?tag=nefd.lede

--