Small but significant memory leak in Pyana XSLT processor

Ola Natvig ola.natvig at infosense.no
Tue Mar 8 09:20:04 EST 2005

Hi all

I'm working with a long running, threaded server which serves HTTP
requests with content which are passed through a XSLT processor. The
XSLT processor I'm using is the Pyana processor.

I have one compiled stylesheet which I uses to process all responses.
This way I only need to read and compile the stylesheet once.

When serving a rather small page 404-page I get the server to process
300-400 requests per second over a LAN connection. This is from the
apache benchmark program, I don't know how reliable these numbers are
but they give me some guidance.

My problem:

When serving my content without the XSLT processor the process size
remains the same size. (about 18MB in the windows task manager). But
when I use the XSLT processor the process will slowly gain size. About
1MB for each 10k requests, and this memory are not freed.

I feel certain that the leak are located in the XSLT processor since the
problem occurs when that is plugged into the system.

There is not much wrapping code so I don't think the problem are of that
manner.

So I wonder if anyone have had the same experience with this XSLT
toolkit before and if you were able to fix it.

The software I'm using on the computer I've done the tests on:

Python 2.4 (ActivePython)
Pyana 0.9.2
Win XP Pro SP2

I've tried with both precompiled and self compiled versions of the Pyana
package.

ola