The value exceptions are raised with (odd behaviour?)

Ola Natvig ola.natvig at infosense.no
Thu Mar 31 04:04:53 EST 2005

When raising an exception with a value for instance an integer you
assume that when catching the exception the value can be compared with
other integers. That is not what happens.

try:
     raise Exception, 12
except Exception, number:
     print number == 12
# False

This is because the number variable is a exception instance and not an
integer.

I wonder if I'm the only one which find this behavior odd, and if anyone
knows if there is a way to retrieve the original initialization value of
the exception.

ola