Software for Poets (Was: Re: Text-to-speech)

Francis Girard francis.girard at free.fr
Sun Mar 20 16:10:48 EST 2005

Hello M. Hartman,

It's a very big opportunity for me to find someone that both is a poet and
knows something about programming.

First, please excuse my bad english ; I'm a french canadian.

I am dreaming to write a software to help french poets to write strict
rigourous classical poetry. Since calssical poetry is somewhat mathematical,
a lot of tasks can be automatised :

1- Counting the number of syllabs ("pied" in french) in a verse

2- Checking the rimes ; determining the strength of a rime

3- Checking compliance of a poem to a fixed pre-determined classical form (in
french, we have distique, tercet, quatrain, quintain, sixain, huitain,
dizain, triolet, vilanelle, rondeau, rondel, ballade, chant royal, sonnet,
etc.)

4- Propose a synonym that will fit in a verse, i.e. with the right amount of
syllabs

5- Suggest a missing word or expression in a verse by applying the Shannon
text generation principle

First, do you think it may be a useful tool ?
What other features you think can make it usefull for a poet ?

The first task of cutting sentences into syllabs (phonetically of course, not
typographically) is already done. It's been difficult to get it right and to
make it guess correctly with a very very high percentage.

I can very well imagine that the next task is even more difficult. I need to
translate text into phonems. Do you know some software that does it ? I guess
that voice synthetisers that translates written text into spoken text must
first translate the text into phonems. Right ? Do you know if there some way
that I can re-use some sub-modules from these projects that will translate
text into phonems ?

Regards,

Francis Girard