mxDateTime on Mac: Fatal Python Error

Michael Maibaum mike at maibaum.org
Mon Mar 7 18:49:47 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:51:20PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>contact at alanlittle.org wrote:
>>I'm trying to get mxDateTime working on a Mac so that I can use pyscopg
>>and cx_Oracle. The Egenix base package builds and installs quite
>>happily, but then when I try to import it I get

>>Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
>>Abort
>>
>>... any ideas?
>
>Messages like these are usually the result of a version mismatch
>between the Python interpreter and the .so file of the extensions.
>
>Make sure you build the package using the same Python interpreter
>you will later use it with.

It is most likely a result of this:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-December/050324.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/pythonmac-sig@python.org/msg00964.html

>>Environment:
>>
>>OS X 10.3.8
>>sys.version: '2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11) \n[GCC 3.3 20030304
>>(Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)]'
>>egenix-mx-base-2.0.6
>
>Hmm, this might also be some weird Mac OS issue. While we currently
>don't support Macs directly, we do welcome suggestions to make them
>work on your favorite platform.

If it is related to the issue I mention above, then it is a distutils specific bug fixed in current versions of Python, but not in the version installed by default by OS X.

HTH

Michael