Python 2.4, distutils, and pure python packages

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Mar 12 07:19:00 EST 2005

Thomas Heller wrote:
> It would be for 2.5, anyway, and I have hoped that bdist_wininst would
> be replaced by bdist_msi then ;-).  What are your plans for that?

I still hope to write one by for 2.5.

One issue is that you cannot have multiple installations of an MSI
package. So if you want to support different Python installations
on the same machine, you have to clone the MSI file, and change the
product code - or provide multiple MSI files in the first place.

So I guess bdist_wininst would continue to provide a value to
certain users, as you can have as many installations of it as
you want (but then, it doesn't allow to select a target directory,
so you can have only as many installations as you find in the
registry).

Regards,
Martin