Problem with variabels in Tkinter

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Mar 4 17:59:17 EST 2005

Svennglenn wrote:
> I have a problem with a program i'm
> making in Tkinter.
> The code is avaliable at:
> http://paste.plone.org/943
>
> When i'm running the program and enters a value and press the
> button in the dialog window that comes up when a press the
> button "Lägg till spelare" (add a player in swedish)
> I get this error message:
> NameError: global name 'entry' is not defined
>

> Does anyone know what the problem is?

You define entry in the local namespace of laggtillspare() and then try
to reference it from bekraftspelare(), where it is neither local nor global.

That's why most Tkinter-based designs define a class for each window.
The instance's namespace can then be used by all methods as a shared
namespace. Instead of entry you would refer to self.entry in two methods
of the same instance.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at some simple
Tkinter examples. It should start to make sense after you've pored over
the code for an house or so ...

regards
  Steve
Come to PyCon DC 2005                      http://www.pycon.org/