Python for a 10-14 years old?

Leif B. Kristensen abuse at solumslekt.org
Thu Mar 24 19:43:16 EST 2005

R.Meijer wrote:

> Jot <jot <at> nad.com> writes:
>
>> If she's really gifted i hope she dumps that obsolete monolithic
>> kernel as soon as she realizes that such beautiful language as python
>> shouldn't be used on top of ugly, badly designed software.
>
> Did somebody say off-topic?

I'd say it's a "Troll -1". Anyway, that'd be my moderator response over
at Slashdot. As had been said so many times; GNU/Hurd is still a
pipe-dream. Those who think that the Linux kernel is based on faulty
concepts should really get their act together and produce their own
microkernel. Personally, I don't care about the kernel architecture as
long as I've got a system that works right here, now.

> Anyway, I myself am 14 years old and I can make simple python scripts
> already by learning it off the official tutorial that comes with it.
> My tip: let her take her time with a normal adult tutorial, and give
> her small assignments every few chapters just so she gets it.

If I may ask, do you think that the "How to think like a Computer
Scientist" is a good starter? I'm 52 years old and learned my basics
with Swan's "Mastering Turbo Pascal 5.5" way back when, but I'm
sincerely wondering what your generation think are hi-class tutorials.

I've got a thirteen-year old daughter to whom I have recently taught the
HTML basics, but she doesn't readily take to actual programming. If
you've got any idea what I should push to her to get her fascinated
about _real_ programming, I'd be obliged. Or maybe her head isn't
screwed together that way, what do I know.
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
http://solumslekt.org/