Adapting code to multiple platforms

Jeremy Bowers jerf at
Sat Mar 12 03:37:43 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:27:06 -0700, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> Most of my program lives in a class.  My plan is to have a superclass
> that performs the generic functions and subclasses to define methods
> specific to each platform....
> I'm just getting up to speed on Python and OOP, so I'm wondering whether I
> have missed something obvious.  I'm hoping that the strongest rebuke
> would be that I found something obvious.

You may be interested to know this is called the Template Pattern.

Generally, while most of the patterns are obvious in hindsight they are
not necessarily obvious in advance, and I consider independently
re-discovering a pattern is a good sign; it's much easier to correct not
knowing about them than gaining the skills to independently re-derive them.