Python for a 10-14 years old?

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Thu Mar 24 08:01:07 EST 2005

On 24 Mar 2005 14:50:39 +0200, rumours say that Ville Vainio
<ville at spammers.com> might have written:

>    Christos> (first hw upgrade I ever did!), and one year and a half
>    Christos> later, I managed to get the Sinclair QL, with better
>    Christos> BASIC, multitasking capabilities, and something more
>    Christos> like an OS than any other home computer till then.  And
>    Christos> man, wasn't 68k assembly a joy :)

>Linus Torvalds also bought Sinclair Ql back in the day - I was
>quite surprised to find out that it had a 32bit CPU (according to his
>autobiography).

68008 at 8 MHz with 32bit architecture, 16bit ALU (long operations took
2 cycles), 8bit external bus (to communicate with cheap memory and other
ICs), 20bit max address space, but with complete compatibility with
68000 machine code.  For example, one could issue the following *single*
instruction:

MOVE.L ($18000), ($18004)

to copy the long from address 98304 to address 98308.  Intel provided
such functionality much later; I am not sure if even the 386 could use
memory indirect on both operands...

If only IBM had chosen Motorola for its new PC, 64KiB memory segments
would be something to laugh at, not something to remember and cry
about...
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.