string goes away

Andreas Beyer beyer at imb-jena.de
Thu Mar 31 23:32:20 EST 2005

Hi:

If I am getting the docs etc. correctly, the string-module is depricated
and is supposed to be removed with the release of Python 3.0.
I still use the module a lot and there are situations in which I don't
know what to do without it. Maybe you can give me some help.

I loved to use
 >>> string.join(list_of_str, sep)
instead of
 >>> sep.join(list_of_str)

I think the former is much more telling what is happening than the
latter. However, I will get used to it.

But what about this:
 >>> upper_list = map(string.upper, list_of_str)

What am I supposed to do instead?

I am sure there has been lots of discussion on whether or not to remove
the string module. Maybe you can just direct me to the right place.

Thanks for help!
    Andreas