Is Python like VB?

Joe justaskme at if.you.want.to.contact.me
Fri Mar 18 03:26:32 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:02:48 -0800, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com>
wrote:
>Why on earth would
>you choose to reimplement your software in a different language, rather
>than just do the simple version upgrade?

A lot of developers and companies are pondering this issue. The
end-of-lifing of Classic VB is a wake-up call for many, who take this
opportunity to check whether it's a good idea to keep using
proprietary tools which can be discontinued any time if the
manufacturer figures he can get away with forcing his customers to
upgrade.

>From there, it's like playing the stock exchange: Is it more risky and
financially sound to follow Microsoft and switch from VB Classic to
VB.Net, or to jump ship, and use open-source solutions?

At this point, I would advise the OP, if possible, to just keep
working on the Classic VB version of his application while developing
small side-projects in VB.Net to master this new language/tool, and
once 80% of hosts have the .Net framework, it'll be time to check
which route seems more promising.

Joe.