Communication between python scripts

André Søreng wsoereng at tiscali.no
Tue Mar 1 16:15:36 EST 2005

Chris wrote:
> Is there a preferred method for having different scripts on different
> computers communicate with each other?
>
> For example, script A could tell script B that it is done with a certain
> process.
>
> I know how to do this using e-mail, but I would like a more direct
> method if possible. If my ISP's mail server goes down, for example, I
> don't want my processes to come to a screeching halt.

Probably the simplest way would be to use XMLRPC. Python
supports it both on client and server side.

client access:
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4/lib/module-xmlrpclib.html

server:
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4/lib/module-SimpleXMLRPCServer.html

Examples to get you going are also available in the library reference.

Other that that, you could also just use regular sockets.