Unable to run IDLE Under Windows

maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu
Fri Mar 4 13:37:04 EST 2005

Peter Otten wrote:
> Perhaps your configuration files contain bad data:
>
> # IDLE reads several config files to determine user preferences.
This
> # file is the default config file for general idle settings.
> # On Windows2000 and Windows XP the .idlerc directory is at
> #       Documents and Settings\<username>\.idlerc

I have a similar problem: I can't run the Python IDLE app (i.e. the
file pythonw.exe), on either of two different machines.  However, I'm
using WinXP (and Python 2.4), and there is no .idlerc directory as
listed above.  One of hte machines had a .idlerc file under the Python
dir, and renaming it didn't help.  I just ran a search on the entire
hard drive of the other machine, and the only .idlerc dir is in my
CygWin home directory.  Since I'm not trying to run idle from a CygWin
bash shell etc., I don't think it's looking there.  (Just to make sure,
I renamed that dir...no luck.)

I uninstalled and re-installed Python 2.4, no change.  When I try to
run pythonw.exe, there is no indication that anything happens.  CPU
usage jumps for a  fraction of a second, then nothing.

I tried running 'idle' under CygWin, and it gives the following error
(lengthy traceback omitted, let me know if I should include that too):

  C:\cygwin\bin\python2.4.exe (2904): *** unable to remap
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygssl-0.9.7.dll to same address as parent
  (0x740000) != 0x750000
      2 [main] python2.4 3080 fork_parent: child 2904 died waiting
  for dll loading

Any other ideas why IDLE won't run?