beeping portably

Jim jhefferon at
Sun Mar 20 18:03:25 CET 2005

I'd like to emit beeps.  The twists are that (1) I hope to have control
over the frequency of the beeps and their duration and (2) I'd like the
solution to be portable across Linux, Windows, and OS X.

I've done some searching of this group and the solutions that people
have offered in the past seem not to satisfy both points. For instance,
that I can tell, "\a" or curses.beep() doesn't give you control over
the frequency or duration.  I also looked at wxWindows but there were
warnings about the MMedia module ("status is unclear") that made me