pre-PEP: Print Without Intervening Space

Bill Mill bill.mill at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 11:58:59 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:00:03 -0600, Larry Bates <lbates at syscononline.com> wrote:

> I also don't miss a no-space option on print.  I've always believed
> that print statements with commas in them were for simple output with
> little or no regard for formatting (like for debugging statements).
> If I want precisely formatted output I use '%' formats or I build
> the output line manually with joins or some other mechanism.  The
> ''.join(seq) or ''.join([fn(x) for x in seq]) says exactly what
> is being done to create the output string.

I agree with everything said here. Furthermore, I don't like this PEP
because it introduces magic. When reading code, you just need to
magically know what the double-comma does in a print statement. Yes,
there are bits of magic involved in the solutions that already exist,
but I am opposed to the introduction of more.

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com