[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.4.1, release candidate 1

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 14 16:42:46 EST 2005

Richie Hindle wrote:
>>If so, could it
>>also be that the installer has told you that the target directory
>>exists, and asked whether you want to proceed anyway?
>

> It probably did, yes.

If this was a true upgrade (allusers to allusers), it didn't ask
the question. It only asks if it thinks this is a fresh install,
yet the target directory is there already.

> I'd be surprised if the existing 2.4 was per-user, because I usually ask
> for all-users.  It's possibly that it was an all-users installation but I
> copied the DLL into C:\Python24 for some reason [...digs around...] yes, I
> think that must be the case.  It has a creation date much later than
> C:\python24\Lib, for example.

Ah, ok. I could not have thought of *that*. That also explains it: the
upgrading simply did not manage to remove/replace your copy of
python24.dll.

It's easy to see the effect, then: Windows looks for python24.dll first
in the directory of python.exe (where no DLL should have been found),
and would only fallback to system32 then (which it didn't in your case).

Regards,
Martin