compiled open source Windows lisp (was Re: Python becoming less Lisp-like)

James Graves ansible at typhoon.xnet.com
Tue Mar 15 16:06:43 EST 2005

Brandon J. Van Every <try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname at yahoo.com> wrote:
>James Graves wrote:
>>
>> If you want to do application development, Common Lisp is where it's
>> at, no doubt about it.  There are more and better libraries for CL
>> these days, and they are easier to install and manage with tools like
>> ASDF. Multiple open-source implementations, covering the most popular
>> platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac).
>
>Last I looked, 2 years ago?, there were no compiled, open source lisps that
>ran on Windows.  Has this changed?

Yes.

GCL compiles to C first.  And it has been ported to Windows.  It isn't
fully ANSI compliant yet, though they are working on that.  I haven't
had to try that yet.

There's talk about a port of SBCL to Windows.  But I don't know what
progress has been made on that front.

But coverage in this area (compiled CL) is a bit thin, I'll admit.

James Graves