cgi and multipart/form-data?

Chris Curvey ccurvey at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 29 14:51:25 EST 2005

Chris Curvey wrote:
> I have a form like this:
>
> <form method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">
>     <input type="file" name="myFile">
>     <input type="text" name="foo">
>     <input type="submit">
> </form>
>
> When I submit this form to my Python script using the CGI module, I seem
> to get the "myFile" variable, but I don't seem to the "foo" variable.
>
> Interestingly, if I take out the "myFile" variable (or specify a much
> smaller file) I do get the value for "foo".
>
> The files that I'm trying to handle are 400-500Kb in size...is there
> something I need to do (cgi.maxlen?) to let cgi handle big files?

man, was I on the wrong track.  turns out the problem was that I was
uploading a Excel file and something in there was getting thought of as
an end-of-file marker.  To fix:

import msvcrt
msvcrt.setmode(0, os.O_BINARY) # stdin = 0
msvcrt.setmode(1, os.O_BINARY) # stdout = 1

(credit where it's due:  I found this on ASPN.)