Python slogan, was Re: Grouping code by indentation - feature or ******?

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sat Mar 26 05:29:16 EST 2005

Tim Roberts wrote:

> Rocco Moretti <roccomoretti at hotpop.com> wrote:
>
>>Antoon Pardon wrote:
>>> I have problems with all languages
>>> currently available, so I use those which rub me wrong the least.
>>> ... [I]t doesn't weight heavy enough
>>> to go and use an other language, although I keeping looking at
>>> the other languages.
>>
>>I think the operational definition of a "zealot" is someone who thinks
>>what they have is absolutely perfect, and refuses to examine the
>>alternatives.
>>
>>Not a very inspiring slogan though:
>>"Python - the least of 1,000+ evils."
>
> Or, paraphrasing Mark Twain, "Python is the worst possible programming
> language, except for all the others."

I've been trying to establish that a while ago, but would attribute it to
Winston Churchill -- so I'm a little confused now. Can you provide the text
where it's taken from?

Peter

PS: Perhaps we can settle on (with apologies to Groucho Marx): I wouldn't
want to program in a language I can actually understand.