string goes away

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Thu Mar 31 22:01:07 EST 2005

Hi All--

Andreas Beyer wrote:

> I loved to use
>  >>> string.join(list_of_str, sep)
> instead of
>  >>> sep.join(list_of_str)
>
> I think the former is much more telling what is happening than the
> latter. However, I will get used to it.

I disagree, but maybe you could think of it as a mutant list
comprehension?-)

> But what about this:
>  >>> upper_list = map(string.upper, list_of_str)
>
> What am I supposed to do instead?

['a', 'b', 'c']
>>> [i.upper() for i in u]
['A', 'B', 'C']

Works pretty well for me.  Better'n map() any day.

> I am sure there has been lots of discussion on whether or not to remove
> the string module. Maybe you can just direct me to the right place.

I think we both missed it.  I been off the list for four years.  They
wouldn'ta listened to me anyhow.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours