SimpleHTTPRequestHandler handling long lasting requests problem

Andy Leszczynski leszczynscy at nospamyahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 23:26:10 EST 2005

I need a HTTP server handling long lasting requests e.g. 10-30 seconds.
Below is a pice of the code. In order to make the server reponsive while
handling othere requests I use SocketServer.ThreadingMixIn.

However the problem is the it does not work out. I checked thet a new
thread is created for each new connection new, but the main loop seems
to be frozen until the prevoius handling ends.

What could go wrong?

Thanks, Andy

* * *

import os
import time
import BaseHTTPServer
import SocketServer
import threading
import sys

class
SimpleHTTPRequestHandler(BaseHTTPServer.BaseHTTPRequestHandler):
     def do_GET(self):
         response="aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"+str(time.time())
         self.send_response(200)
         self.send_header("Content-type",'text/plain')

self.send_header("Content-Length",len(response))
         self.end_headers()
         time.sleep(10) #simulation of the processing
         self.wfile.write(response)

     def do_POST(self):
         self.do_GET()

class
myWebServer(SocketServer.ThreadingMixIn,BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer):
   pass

if __name__ == '__main__':
     server_address = ('',80)
     httpd=myWebServer(server_address,SimpleHTTPRequestHandler)
     sa=httpd.socket.getsockname()
     print "Serving HTTP on", sa[0], "port", sa[1],"..."
     httpd.serve_forever()