getting text from WinXP console

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Mar 21 19:14:20 EST 2005

Jeff Shannon wrote:
> Unless I'm seriously mistaken, the only way that this will be possible
> is if there's a Win32 API call that will give the correct information.
>  This might be possible to find in the MSDN documentation, if it exists,
> but I suspect that it probably doesn't.

Just thinking: in NT, XP, and friends, the "DOS" console has
a scrollback buffer.  In addition, even in 98 you can cut and
paste text in a console window.  Both of these are clear
evidence that the data is available.  Whether the API to get
to it is well-documented and available remains to be
answered... I'm guessing it is, somewhere...