Distributing applications

Stephen Thorne stephen.thorne at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 19:26:06 EST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:07:25 -0600, Jaime Wyant <programmer.py at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> However, if you have an idea on updating py2exe bundled apps, I'm all ears...

I'm working on a little project that requires remote updating. What I
basically came up with is two nested applications.

program/program.exe runs, and checks program/realprogram/ for updates
from a server. if md5s mismatch, it pulls new versions. after pulling
new version, it runs the program/realprogram.exe

realprogram.exe can, at some point in the future, be written to update
program/program.exe's code.

This isn't exactly the way I ended up doing it, due to the application
(all on a LAN, not the internet) I'm actually pulling the 'real'
program every time and leaving it in a directory under
tempfile.gettempdir()

Its a bit messy, but it actually works on both windows and linux.
(cx_Freeze under linux)

Stephen.