GUI toolkit question

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Thu Mar 17 09:59:36 EST 2005

eguy at devio.us writes:

> I'm building an app that operates on tuples (typically pairs) of
> hierarchical structures, and i'd like to add a GUI to display my
> internal representation of them, and simplify manipulations/operations
> on them. My requirements are:
>
>   1) Draw a single 3D representation of the hierarchies, and the
>   connections between them.
>
>   2) All objects must be interactive. That is, they should have
>   left/middle/rightClick behavior; they must be draggable (with rubber
>   band behavior of their conncections); the user should be able to
>   highlight a set of them, associate them as a group, then execute
>   some group operation.
>
>   3) I don't need very fancy stuff from the normal widgets. Just
>   menus, a few buttons, dialog boxes, etc.
>
>   4) Don't need complex 3D behavior.
>
>   5) Don't need to ever run on Windows, just *nix.
>
>   6) May eventually need to either compile the Python, or port
>   part/all of it to C++.
>
> I started looking into Qt, Wx, Blender, etc, but don't even know if i
> have the right questions in mind. Any thoughts, considerations,
> recommendations would be much appreciated.
>
> thanks in advance,
> Eric

The GUI toolkits (gtk, qt, wx, fltk, etc) generally give you a 3D
window, and then you are on your own.  In the window you could use
VRML, X3D, or your own homegrown OpenGL treatment.

Next up the foodchain, there are visualization tools which can link
together lots of nodes and arcs.  See:
http://www.opendx.org/index2.php

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering