Need help

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Mar 3 22:42:53 EST 2005

gaudetteje at gmail.com wrote:
> It sounds to me like they just don't have the correct hostname (or
> their DNS service is down).  Again, this could be seen from answering
> the above questions.

Hmm.... what can be seen from reading Brian's message is that
it clearly cannot be a simple matter of incorrect hostname,
or an inability to connect at all.  He said they can connect
twice before they get the error.

And unfortunately there are many places where ICMP packets,
including "echo" and "echo response", have been disabled for
security reasons.  The inability to ping does not necessarily
mean anything about the ability to establish TCP sessions.

In the end, however, it does seem unlikely that this has
much to do with Python...

-Peter