File call error message (double backslash)

Fred andreas.aka.fred at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 18:40:28 EST 2005

Hi
I am writing on an application, that is supposed to read a file into a
single string:
My program though, when I run it, gives me an error, that the called
file is non existent
'C:\ \Documents and Settings\ \Fred\ \My Documents\ \School\ \Bio'
Is it normal that python adds the  space and extra backslash? Because
if I print the path of the called file before the open command, it
normally prints it with only one backslash.
Is there any possiblity of surpressing this?
I am using Python 2.3.5 with Pywin built 163 on Windows.
Thanks for all help