Good use for Jython

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Mar 16 15:51:49 EST 2005

Mike Wimpe wrote:
> Other than being used to wrap Java classes, what other real use is
> there for Jython being that Python has many other GUI toolkits
> available? Also, these toolkits like Tkinter are so much better for
> client usage (and faster) than Swing, so what would be the advantage
> for using Jython? or Is Jython really just so that Java developers can
> write Java code faster?

I use Jython a lot. I have a background in Java and I am working in a Java shop, but I prefer to
code in Python, so Jython has some appeal:
- Works with existing Java libraries, both in-house proprietary libs and favorite third-party libs.
The third-party libs probably have Python equivalents, but it's nice to be able to keep using some
favorite tools.
- Doesn't add any new requirements to the target machine (just needs the JRE they already have,
Python install not needed) (yes, I know about py2exe)
- No one has to know :-) I can ship a jar file (or several) that contains my program, it looks just
like Java.

A recent poster on jython-users had switched from Python to Jython because he preferred Swing over
the GUI toolkits available with Python so I guess there is room for more than one opinion on that point.

Kent