wxPython vs. pyQt

Simon John simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 00:58:17 EST 2005

I used to be a wxPython lover, but it was mainly due to the crappy PyQt
licensing terms, rather than any merits of wx (although I like the
native LnF).

After trying to do a large-ish project using wxPython, I found that I
was limited by the lack of widgets and the layout system.

My latest project was in PyQt, after Trolltech announced that Qt4 will
have a GPL version for Windows (and Riverbank said they will make a
PyQt to go with it eventually).

I usually hate visual GUI IDEs, but I found QtDesigner to be a real
asset, much better than wxDesigner or VisualStudio. The threading
implementation also seems superior (easier?) to Python's own too, and
making custom widgets is easy enough, even with a Python wrapper.

Also, the Cygwin guys have ported the GPL/Linux Qt to Windows, so you
can use that for Qt3.3 until Trolltech come up with Qt4.

Links:
http://kscraft.sourceforge.net/convert_xhtml.php?doc=pyqt-windows-install.xhtml
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/
http://www.pycs.net/lateral/stories/27.html