Tkinter Bitmap Newbie question

Raseliarison nirinA nirina at mail.blueline.mg
Sun Mar 13 07:44:56 EST 2005

"Wim Goffin" wrote:

>>> Hi,

hello,

>>> I'm trying to get a bitmap onto a button, but I can't.
>>> Can anyone tell me where to look for a solution?
>>>
>>> The call I use is this one:
>>> self.b = Button(toolbar, text="nieuw", bitmap="@/test.xbm",
>>> width=20, command=self.print_msg)
>>>
>>> The message I get is this:
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "C:\Documents and Settings\Wim\Mijn
>>> documenten\Python\overhoor.py", line 143, in -toplevel-
>>>     app = App(root)
>>>   File "C:\Documents and Settings\Wim\Mijn
>>> documenten\Python\overhoor.py", line 71, in __init__
>>>     self.b = Button(toolbar, text="nieuw", bitmap="@/test.xbm",
>>> width=20, command=self.print_msg)
>>>   File "C:\Python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1939, in __init__
>>>     Widget.__init__(self, master, 'button', cnf, kw)
>>>   File "C:\Python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1868, in __init__
>>>     self.tk.call(
>>> TclError: error reading bitmap file "\test.xbm"
>>>
>>> This is hapening on a WindowsXP system.
>>> It seems as though the file is not found. Because if specify the
>>> name of a non-existing file,
>>> then I get exactly the same error. What could I do to make sure
>>> first  that
>>> Puthon does find the file?

well, you do make sure that the file exists in the right place.

bitmap="@/test.xbm" means something like: look for a bitmap file
named test.xbm at location "/" , that is, at the top level directory.

bitmap="@c:/test.xbm" is equivalent.

some solutions:
1) copy (or cut)  and paste the file test.xbm to c:/ and continue to
use your code or,
2) if test.xbm is in the same directory as your code, you may write:
bitmap="@test.xbm" or bitmap="@./test.xbm"
where "./" means the current directory or,
3) you may write something like (one single string!):
bitmap="@C:/Documents and Settings\Wim/Mijn
documenten\Python/test.xbm"

notice also that if the bitmap appears in your button,
your text="nieuw" may not be visible.

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Wim Goffin

hope this help.