Python 2.4, distutils, and pure python packages

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 07:09:28 EST 2005

Python 2.4 is built with Microsoft Visiual C++ 7. This means that it
uses msvcr7.dll, which *isn't* a standard part of the windows operating
system. This means that if you build a windows installer using
distutils - it *requires* msvcr7.dll in order to run. This is true even
if your package is a pure python package. This means that when someone
tries to use a windows installer created with Python 2.4, on a machine
with only python 2.3 - it will fail.

It's likely that nothing can be done about this (although for a pure
python package there's no reason not to use the 'source distribution'
and the setup.py). It does mean that I have to build my windows
installer on a machine with python 2.3.

Regards,

Fuzzy