Creating module skeleton from unit tests

Edvard Majakari edvard+news at majakari.net
Tue Mar 8 06:07:46 EST 2005

Fabio Zadrozny <fabioz at esss.com.br> writes:

> I think that the best approach I saw to this was in the Eclipse java
> ide... You can basically go on the declaration of
>
> self.obj = player.Player('Fred the Adventurer')
>
> press Ctrl+1 and it adds a suggestion to create the class Player.
>
> Then go to
>
> assert self.obj.name == 'Fred the Adventurer'
>
> press Ctrl+1 and it adds suggestion: Declare field name in class
> Player... and so on for methods...  (true, you still have to go and press
> some Ctrl+1s, but that should be fairly easy, especially if you had some
> hints on what is missing... Python has a very dynamic nature, but most of it
> can still be done...

Yes, I know. Eclipse is an excellent Java IDE - I've already seen ''quick
assist'' at work and I envy those Eclipse users for having such a nice tool :)

PyDev for eclipse seems /very/ promising, though.

> I think that most Python IDEs are still not in the same level, but some day
> they might get there...  Being the maintaner of PyDev (http://pydev.sf.net),
> I think it will get there someday, true, lots of work to make it happen,
> right now only few things in Ctrl+1 are available like that (still, some
> already are)... and that's the way things work... nothing's always perfect
> (but at least they evolve).

Thanks for the comments - and for your pydev plugin, too.

--
# Edvard Majakari		Software Engineer
# PGP PUBLIC KEY available    	Soli Deo Gloria!

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the firstplace. Therefore,
 if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition,
 not smart enough to debug it."  -- Brian W. Kernighan