Initializing subclasses of tuple

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Mar 1 11:07:25 EST 2005

Dave Opstad wrote:
> I'm hoping someone can point out where I'm going wrong here. Here's a
> snippet of a Python interactive session (2.3, if it makes a difference):
>
> --------------------------------------

> ...   def __init__(self, n):
> ...     v = range(n)
> ...     list.__init__(self, v)

> [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]

> ...   def __init__(self, n):
> ...     v = tuple(range(n))
> ...     tuple.__init__(self, v)

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> TypeError: iteration over non-sequence
>
> How do I initialize instances of a class derived from tuple, if it's not
> in the __init__ method?

In the __new__ method! This must return the actual created object,
whereas __init__ initializes the already-created object.

This applies to subclassing all the built-in types.

regards
  Steve
Come to PyCon DC 2005                      http://www.pycon.org/
Steve Holden                           http://www.holdenweb.com/