generating audio signals

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Mon Mar 21 04:27:47 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:25:22 +0200, nicke <hiower4 at elitemail.org> wrote:

>I'm running linux and would like to generate specific frequencies and
>play them(in OSS) or alternatively save them as wav files, how should I
>accomplish this? Using python to play and generate is not strictly
>necessary, as long as I can invoke the command from python.
>I know for example xmms can do this, but I want a command-line only solution.

Perhaps
    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-wave.html
will help. I used it to create an echo effect toy for my grandson by reading existing .wav sound effect
files and adding delayed reduced-aplitude feeback to itself and writing another file. Parameters were
distance in feet to a reflecting wall (assuming 1000 ft/sec sound speed ;-) and relection volume factor.

Not hard. Maybe make yourself a little utility first that will show you the specs for any .wav file (i.e.,
sampling frequency, bytes per sample, channels, etc.) I don't recall at the moment whether you have to
deal with signed or offset amplitude values, but it won't be hard.

This won't play the sounds though.

Regards,
Bengt Richter