Python features

Gary D. Duzan gduzan at bbn.com
Thu May 12 16:10:36 EDT 2005

In article <op.sqofc51np2c5o9 at hector.domek>,
Peter Dembinski <pdemb at gazeta.pl> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 May 2005 10:02:42 +0200, André Roberge
><andre.roberge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Imperative programming languages are the most commonly used languages.
>> Examples of this type of language are C, C++, Ada, Fortran, Algol, Java,
>> Python, Perl, and so on.
>
>How about lambda construction?  Isn't Python imperative language that
>includes some functional mixins?
>
>I mean -- can you say Python is fully imperative language?

   I don't know that "fully imperative" is necessarily meaningful.
We could say that Python supports statements which don't rebind a
variable to a value, but that doesn't seem helpful.  You can do
things without side effects in Python, and you can use things in
a functional style like map, but the overall language more closely
reflects an imperative style, so we call it an imperative language.

					Gary Duzan
					BBN Technologies