running tkinter

Jim Anderson ezjab at ieee.org
Tue May 31 16:44:54 EDT 2005

I have just installed Fedora Core 3 on my pc. Python runs
fine, but when I try to run tkinter the tkinter library is
not found. I tried installing python 2.4.1 and could not get
tkinter to run there either.

When I look through the build directories for 2.4.1, I find
a lib-tk, but I do not find anything for tcl. In past releases,
my recollection is that tcl/tk were part of the release and
that if TCL_LIBRARY and TK_LIBRARY environment variables were
set right, then tkinter would work.

Are tcl/tk still supposed to be an intergrated part of the
python release?

Do I have to download, configure, make, install tcl and tk
packages to get tkinter running?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Jim Anderson