Resizing VListBox on parent (wxPython)

Ivan Voras ivoras at _-_fer.hr
Sun May 15 18:45:48 EDT 2005

I hava a hierarhical sizer layout in which there's a panel in the upper
part of a window with some buttons, and another panel with wxVListBox
that's meant to occupy all the remaining space in the window. Both
panels are put inside a vertical BoxSizer, and the VListBox in its panel
is also in BoxSizer.

The hierarchy is like this:

- window, vertical BoxSizer
   - panel, horizontal BoxSizer
     - some buttons
   - panel, vertical BoxSizer
     - a single VListBox

(the VListBox is alone in its panel for "future compatibility" - I plan
to add more controls to the panel)

I want the lower panel and the VListBox to automatically resize and fill
all the remaining space in the window. I can get this to work in the
horizontal direction by default, but not in vertical. When I set the
vertical size of VListBox to -1, it only displays one line; I can set it
to a fixed vertical size, but I really need it to adapt its size to that
of the window (something like "Center" layout option in Java BorderLayout).

(The items in VListBox are generated at program runtime, and are not
available during window controls creation stage)

Can somebody explain why is this happening and how to do what I want? I
have almost no experience in wxWindows.