Software licenses and releasing Python programs for review

poisondart poisondart985 at gmail.com
Sun May 29 14:52:59 EDT 2005

With the exception of the example with neighbour Bobby (which directly
utilizes my code for profit, in which case is a definite no), I don't
see why your other examples should make me reconsider releasing my
software for free--in all the cases you've described, the answer should
be no.

You publish a magazine and include a CD with my code--you are using my
code to attract readers (this, I did not agree to).

The example with colleague Betty does not say whether she has debugged
my code and sold it for profit. If she does, then she will have done
something very selfish in my view--also undesirable. If she hasn't
debugged my code...what is she doing selling my property?

The competitor Barney--This is exactly what I _don't_ want. What's he
doing selling my code?

Business partner Billy is using a scheme similar to the magazine
publisher example.

I plan to release my programs for academic and pedagogical purposes.
The knowledge contained in these programs is the same knowledge that
people use to speak a language--did you buy a copy of the English
language when you decided to learn it?

This is why I feel that it would not make sense for me to sell my
programs for profit.

Thanks,