Is Python suitable for a huge, enterprise size app?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri May 27 10:12:29 EDT 2005

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes on Tue, 24 May 2005 22:38:05 +0200:
> nothing guarantees that, of course.  but I've never seen that
> happen. and I'm basing my comments on observed behaviour in
> real systems, not on theoretical worst-case scenarios.

I observed in real systems (Zope) that the system got slower
and slower as the amount of allocated memory increased -- although
the OS was far from its memory resource limits (and virtual memory size
was not much larger then resident memory size). Flushing caches
(and thereby releasing most memory) did not speed up things
but restarting did.

I do not understand this observed behaviour.

> every
> time I've seen serious fragmentation, it's been related to leaks,
> not peak memory usage.

An analysis did not reveal serious leaks, in the cases mentioned above.

Dieter