win32- system call - getting results back into python

gregpinero at gmail.com gregpinero at gmail.com
Sat May 7 13:33:57 EDT 2005

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to call a system command "svnlook log \arms" from within
python and process the results.  However I'm having trouble getting the
results of the command back into python.  I'm using windows if that
matters.

Here's what I have so far:

os.system("svnlook") #works but doesn't give me the output from
svnlook, just the status

commands.gettegetstatusoutput("svnlook") only works in unix?

Here's my final code which really <should> work:

pipe=os.popen("svnlook log \arms")  #works from console
text=pipe.read()
print text

>> I get blank

However this works fine and gives me many lines of output:
pipe=os.popen("dir")
text=pipe.read()
print text

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  When I call my command from the command
prompt in windows I get a line of text.  By the way, I tried posting
this on the subversion group but I'm thinking maybe it's a python
question, or both?

Thanks,

Greg