Newbie Alert: Help me store constants pythonically

Stefan Rank stefan.rank at ofai.at
Tue Nov 8 12:34:43 EST 2005

on 08.11.2005 17:40 Brendan said the following:
[snip config/properties file needs]

> I've checked out ConfigParser, ConfigObj, Pickle, PyYaml and
> gnossis.xml.serialize, and none meet all the above criteria (though
> they're all neat).
>
> So I've decide to use ...drumroll please.... plistlib (
> http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Lib/plat-mac/plistlib.py ).

like myriads of others, i went through the same dance as you did
(several times, several programming languages), and sadly, i did not
come across plistlib.py in the python case.

as a first glance inspires liking and the lib does not seem to require
anything mac-specific, i would like to ask why it is not in the standard
python distribution?

> So away I go.  If anyone can suggest reasons I should avoid this
> approach, please let me know before I get too invested.  Otherwise,
> this might be a reasonable avenue for standardizing Python.

I second that.

stefan