wxPython Licence vs GPL

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Nov 23 22:35:52 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Really? So when I take my GPLed software, and legally install it on
> 100 PCs without paying one single cent for licence fees, it isn't free of
> cost?
>
> You a living in a strange and mysterious world, where things that cost
> nothing aren't free.

Many definitions of "cost" include things that go beyond mere *monetary*
value.

Watching a given program on TV might be called "free" by some, but if I
have to suffer through commercials I don't consider it free.  Heck, I
despise MSN Messenger and avoided the "free" Opera** because they aren't
"free" for me, loaded with advertisements that flash in my face and
distract me all the time.

I'm just highlighting how discussions of this nature which spend a lot
of time revolving around narrow and non-shared definitions of words can
really waste a lot of time...

-Peter

** Apparently I'm not alone as I understand the latest Opera is entirely
"free" of advertisements as well.