path module / class

chris.atlee at gmail.com chris.atlee at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 13:02:03 EST 2005

Hi there,

I haven't seen this topic pop up in a while, so I thought I'd raise it
again...

What is the status of the path module/class PEP?  Did somebody start
writing one, or did it die?  I would really like to see something like
Jason Orendorff's path class make its way into the python standard
library.

It seems like this comes up every so often, prompts some discussion,
and then fizzles :)

Last I checked on python-dev, people were mostly in agreement that the
path module could be added, with a few modifications.  (The top of the
thread is here: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/69403)

A few issues that were left unresolved by that thread were:
- should joinpath() be called subpath()?  I think joinpath is fine, it
agrees with os.path
- should listdir() be called subpaths()? I don't think so, would
listpaths() be a good alternative?
- drop getcwd() method?
- what the class / module should actually be called, and where should
it live?
- unicode support
- timestamp / datetime objects for mtime/ctime/atime functions

Cheers,
Chris