Why is dictionary.keys() a list and not a set?

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Sat Nov 26 16:39:00 EST 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> This is not true. The second definition of __hash__ does not meet
> the specifications:
> "The only required property is that objects which compare equal have the
> same hash value"

As Mike has written in his last posting, you could easily "fix" that by
tweaking the equality relation as well. So technically speaking, Mike is
probably right. It would completely break common-sense semantics,
because for mylist2, if I have a=[1] and b=[1] then I will have a!=b.
This would not be very reasonable, but probably allowed by Python.

-- Christoph