Pythonising the vim (e.g. syntax popups)

Jeffrey Schwab jeff at schwabcenter.com
Wed Nov 9 14:29:05 EST 2005

Christoph Haas wrote:
> Evening,
>
> I'm an addicted vim user and don't really use the IDLE for anything more
> than calculations where I'm too lazy to start KCalc. But one feature is
> very pretty: the built-in help for function calls while you type. Like you
> enter...
>
> var1,var2=mystring.split(
> ...and the IDLE shows me a popup saying...
> "S.split([sep [,maxsplit]]) -> list of strings
>
> Is there a decent way to get that help into vim? Or like showing docstrings
> or help that I get through pydoc on request? I've been working myself
> through a pile of vim macros/plugins but couldn't find even one which
> simplifies programming in Python. Further issues would be handling the
> indentation - maybe a plugin which syntax colors different levels of
> indentation so I don't have to use my plastic ruler on the screen. ;)
> Perhaps some more experienced Python/Vim users have a tip which macro sets
> help most here.

Vim is my editor of choice, too.  I've even gone back to Vim from Eclipse.

I believe what you want are "tags."

	http://www.vmunix.com/vim/tags.html

I have not tried these in Vim yet, although I did use etags with Emacs
(before I discovered the miracle of Vim).

If you get context-sensitive help to work properly in Vim, please let me
know!