python gc performance in large apps

Robby Dermody robbyd at u20.org
Fri Nov 4 15:43:30 EST 2005

Hey guys,

An update (along with a request for paid help at the end): Over the past
week and a half I've improved the memory usage situation by quite a bit.
Going to python 2.4, linux kernel 2.6, twisted 2.0 and altering some
code have reduced the severity by an order of a magnitude. However, on a
simulated call center environment (constant 50 conversations, switching
every 300 seconds) the director component still consumes an average of
1MB more per hour and the harvester is taking an average of 4MB more per
hour. With the director, 2/3 of this is resident (1/3 in swap). With the
harvester, about 88% of this is resident (~ 12% in swap).

After looking into things more, based on the helpful input I got from
the very intelligent individuals who responded to the thread, I know a
few more things:

-Neither component has any uncollectable trash problems. gc.garbage
never has any items after a full collection (and there are never any
uncollectable cycles).

-Running the harvester through valgrind under very light load showed 2
minor memory leaks of my making in the "harvester core" (pyrex code).
Both were fixed. Subsequent runs yielded nothing in my pyrex modules.

-len(gc.get_objects()) will show linearly increasing counts over time
with the director (that match the curve of the director's memory usage
exactly), but with the harvester, the object count doesn't increase over
time (although memory usage does). This might mean that we are dealing
with two separate problems on each component....uncollected object count
growth on the director, and something else on the harvester. ...OR the
harvester may have an object count growth problem as well, it might just
be in a C module in a place not visible to gc.get_objects() ?

-I have some code that looks through gc.get_objects() to find the 10
biggest lists and dicts, and I see no tell tale signs there (nothing
growing out of control).

-Running the harvester on python 2.4 (and 2.5, same results) compiled
with COUNT_ALLOCS reported some interesting results with lists and dicts
that may explain some of the memory usage:
t = 0:
	list alloced: 19167, freed: 8231, max in use: 10937
	dict alloced: 47943, freed: 34108, max in use: 13837
t = 120 seconds (1st run after being fully initialized):
	list alloced: 2394620, freed: 17565, max in use: 2377056
	dict alloced: 2447968, freed: 67999, max in use: 2379969
t = ~20 hours:
	list alloced: 834032375, freed: 4625810, max in use: 829406570
	dict alloced: 845149422, freed: 15715727, max in use: 829433695

The numbers for the other types mostly looked normal, but these two kept
growing after every subsequent call to sys.getcounts(). I have not yet
run the director with COUNT_ALLOCS yet, due to a problem dynamically

-Memory usage is constant on both components when x conversations are
started but never stopped. The code that handles that is just in the
harvester, and is in pure C (in pyrex)... when a conversation is started
or stopped, etc, python and pyrex code in both components runs, and
things like twisted PB are used. This 1MB/hour and 4MB/hour increase is
happening just by having the active convos stop and restart, but I can't
see what would cause that kind of growth.

-Running on Python 2.5 (latest CVS HEAD) didn't change anything

At this point I think I've done all that I can do on my own with this,
given my meager level of knowledge in this field :). I would be
interested in retaining some professional help to see if, working
together, we can trace down some likely culprits. I am also very
interested in learning more on how to avoid these problems in the
future, if they are my doing. I doubt we can remove all the memory
problems, but if we can get this down by another 150 - 200%, that will
be good enough for me.

With that said, I would be prepared to pay someone to help me out with
this problem (and offer tips on improving the code... I am very
interested in improving both my skills and the code's quality). The
director and harvester programs can both run on a single box running
Linux kernel 2.6, python 2.4. There aren't that many dependencies, and I
have a simple loadtester program that can be used to stress test the
environment. I've also already written a module for both components that
logs a bunch of useful memory usage statistics out to disk at whatever
interval desired.

I would be looking for an experienced python developer with the
following knowledge:

-python internals, python "best practices"
-twisted framework
-pyrex (and python C API)
-previous experience fixing similar problems in python

If anyone is interested in helping out, or know someone who might be
interested, please get back to me with your asking rate (hourly, or by
the project if you prefer). We can go from there.

Also, as this project is starting to generate revenue, I will be hiring
someone full time soon to take over primary development. This person
doesn't need to be a python god. Someone with 2-3+ years of experience
with python, subversion, etc. would be good enough, as long as they are
a geek at heart, intelligent and adaptive, passionate about this kind of
work and self motivated. Even a bright recent college grad with open
source experience under his/her belt would be fine. If anyone knows of
anyone who might love this kind of job, let me know.  This is truly a
_very_ interesting product.

Robby