NTFS reparse points

Stanislaw Findeisen my_initials at nglogic.com
Thu Nov 3 06:46:32 EST 2005

I want to create a reparse point on NTFS (any).

Here
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/fs/reparse_points.asp)
I read: "reparse points are used to implement NTFS file system links".
Here
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/fs/hard_links_and_junctions.asp)
I read: "Soft links are implemented through reparse points".

However I can't see FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT turned on in any file /
directory shortcuts I create. In fact the only attribute set in
shortcuts created using Windows Explorer is FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE. (I
am using GetFileAttributes() to examine this.)

The questions are:

(1) Why is that so?
(2) Does anybody have any idea (sample code?) on how to create a reparse
point (the simpler, the better) using Python?

I am using Windows 2000 Professional, Python 2.4 and Mark Hammond's
Python for Windows Extensions build 204.

Thank you.

| When replying, please replace "my_initials" in the    |
| From: address field with my initials - that is, "SF". |